Managing Overweight & Obesity in Type 2 diabetes
Managing overweight and obese patients is a challenge each doctor will surely encounter at any point in his practice. Dr. Rachel Agius, Consultant Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Physician and Clinical Lead in Bariatric Medicine at Mater Dei Hospital Malta, provides us with the most updated knowledge on the subject.
By the end of this module, the participants will be able to:
- Understand that obesity is a chronic, complex multifactorial disease which requires long term management particularly in the setting of type 2 diabetes
- Appreciate the different treatment modalities for obesity management
- Appreciate that weight loss in individuals with type 2 diabetes can be more difficult to achieve and maintain
- Understand that modest weight loss of around 5% is considered clinically significant and is associated with significant improvements in cardiometabolic risk factors
- Appreciate different classes of pharmacological agents for obesity management and their properties
- Appreciate that targeted patient-centred therapeutic regime in type 2 diabetes does not involve solely treating hyperglycaemia
Accessing this module requires a login. Please enter your credentials below!