Dr. Johann Craus, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist with special interest in pregnancy complicated with Diabetes Mellitus, will be leading this module as part of the The International Masterclass in Diabetes Management.
- Diagnosis of GDM is dependent on which diagnostic criteria is used.
- IADPSG criteria is based on the the HAPO study. This is the most evidence based criteria published so far.
- Risk factors for the development of GDM
- Management of GDM reduces pregnancy adverse outcomes even those with mild metabolic disturbances
- HAPO study suggests universal screening of pregnant mothers at 24-32 weeks of gestation
- Complications from GDM results into short term problems [macrosomia, shoulder dystocia, maternal soft tissue injury, PPH] and long term programming leading to the development of the metabolic syndrome in adulthood.
- Role of dating scan to accurately date pregnancies
- Role of the first hour post-prandial blood glucose and link to baby’s birthweight
- Role of pre and post prandial HGT charting in monitoring the maternal metabolic profile
- Role of dietary advice in the management of GDM